Testing: Stereotype Threat and the Perversion of Incentives, Part I

May4

Photo Credit: Rorschach Test 1 on flickr photosharing

Just as intriguing, though, is the researchers’ explanation for why the effects hit some groups of students harder than others: They chalk it up to “stereotype threat.”

…when the research team examined students’ previous scores on other state tests, they turned up some evidence that minority students and women had underperformed on particular sections of the state exit exam. Women fared worse than their earlier performance might have predicted, for example, on the math portion. Asian students did worse-than-expected on English-language arts.

Think about the implication for our student’s test scores. If they think the test is critical for their future, then in aggregate, they are likely to perform at a level lower than past performance would indicate. That means if they have internalized the test as being “high stakes” the more likely it is to be inaccurate in actually measuring knowledge. The implications are troubling. I think that students didn’t feel the “threat” until CASHEE because while the stakes are high for educators, testing doesn’t have a real direct link for kids. It is used in some cases to assign double blocks of Language Arts and/or Mathematics in middle school, but CASHEE Is where the rubber hits the road for students.

Links

by posted under nclb, politics/policy | No Comments »    

Visitors come from...

Howdy! I teach sixth grade at an elementary school in Sacramento, CA. I started my career in Oakland, Ca, and moved here to Sacramento in 2001.

My goals are:

1. To reflect on how I am teaching, and how effective my practices are;
  2. To reflect on my profession, and how effective various practices are;
  3. To understand the political and cultural context that we teach in; and,
  4. To network with other like-minded educators.

To help me reach my goals, I use this blog as a place for me to reflect on best practices, and the practices I’m (trying to) putting in place in my classroom.

I can be contacted here.

Disclaimer

The views expressed here are those of the writer and do not those of Sacramento City Unified School District.