Week in Lab #12: A little late…

December7

It was a really hectic week both at school (first full day, full week in a while), and after school for me, and I added doing a 10 mile bike trek with my son’s boy scout troop to my weekend mix. Needless to say, I didn’t get around to reflecting on my week until now.

There was  a lot of good stuff, but one class continues to give me a headache (I think it may be mutual at this point). I asked the assistant principal to observe me teaching the class and give feedback. Here is what I hope to gain, and what I know won’t be happening:

1. This is not just about the kids behavior. It’s not a chance for me to “show” how bad this class is.
  2. This is a chance to show that the class, and myself, may need some more advanced strategies to deal with each other productively.
  3. This is a chance for me to get feedback from an adult peer.
  4. Just because the student complaints I’m hearing are from kids doesn’t mean there isn’t some validity to them.
  5. The students may be articulate in their grievances, but that doesn’t make them either right, honest, or honest with themselves about what is going on.

Wish me luck, and I’ll try to share what I learn.

by posted under practice/pedagogy | No Comments »