Charters in my district provide more food for thought…

January28

I’ve discovered a new local blog that is focused on my school district, SCUSD Observer, and it is fast becoming my go-to resources for the latest happenings (thank you Larry Ferlazzo for this find). It’s one of the few Blogger blogs not blocked by the district, hmmm.

A recent piece on an application by a charter school was just precious. Really short and sweet, and letting the “facts” speak for themselves. By just pointing folks to the executive summary, you find out all you need to know.

Here are the pertinent points  that they missed out in their petition [I left this out earlier]:

1. The petitioners are demonstrably unlikely to successfully implement the program set forth in the petition.
  2. The charter school presents an unsound educational program for the students to be enrolled in the charter school.

As we think about RttT, and it’s requirements to make it easier for charters to open, we need to keep in mind that some charter applications are going to be like this one, not ready for prime time. In our quest for “innovation” we need to make sure we aren’t allowing for the educational equivalent of a train wreck.  Districts need to be able to call “baloney sandwiches” on schools, because if they don’t, someone will not be getting an education. Contrary to a lot of public opinion, there can be alternatives that are worse than your local comprehensive public  high school.

Disclosure: My son attends a locally based independent charter, I have no blanket opposition to charters. There are many good charters, but not all are good, and being a charter does not automatically make you superior to a public school.