Peeking behind the curtain…

February4

In More Like This Tom Hoffman shares a really good post by the The Reflective Educator about just some of the conditions that those of us working in high poverty school deal with on a daily basis. Tom used this post as a call to teachers to share their working conditions more openly. I pointed out that that the current advice that my union is handing out is to not post anything related to our jobs. As you can see, I’ve never followed that advice, but I am cautious about writing directly about any negative conditions because of an abundance of caution.

My local paper has given me a wonderful out by writing about the first school I worked out in the district, Success Academy. I put in three years at that site, which is like 10 years in normal teaching. It was under a different administration from the top down, but that level of violence, and assaults sounds about right. I’m happy to see Tyrone Howard, the campus supervisor who was there when I was at the site, is back. He was a bedrock and provided a lot of stability for the kids and adults.

by posted under practice/pedagogy | 2 Comments »    
2 Comments to

“Peeking behind the curtain…”

1. February 10th, 2011 at 4:44 am      Reply Saeed Mubarak Says:

Hello
    You said that “the current advice that my union is handing out is to not post anything related to our jobs”.I dvice you to discuss ideas ,problems and coceptions in general .

• February 13th, 2011 at 11:14 am      Reply alicemercer Says:

Hmm, I think that is what I’m doing already. The problem is that it leaves out particular, sometimes horrifying, details that give real insight. Like the ones in that newspaper story about kids attacking the campus supervisor.