Thanks Met Life!

March14

Recent release of the MetLife Survey of the American Teacher, is great…if you’re a statistics student looking for a great example of a downward trend-line(1). If you’re a teacher however, it just confirms everything you knew, suspected, or are living. The results have many of our best and brightest looking into an earlier than expected retirement.

I can’t help thinking that this is all part of a plan, but that while I may be saying “I told you so,” by the end of this–because we all know that TFA and University of Phoenix are in no way ready to fill the need for “quality teachers” that will soon be there–it might come too late to save public education.

from the NYT: Teacher Survey Shows Morale Is at a Low Point

InterACT: The Beatings Will Continue Until Morale Improves

(1)I know I’ve seen this out there somewhere, but the Internets are not yielding the source — drop a line if you know the source…

Visitors come from...

Howdy! I teach sixth grade at an elementary school in Sacramento, CA. I started my career in Oakland, Ca, and moved here to Sacramento in 2001.

My goals are:

1. To reflect on how I am teaching, and how effective my practices are;
  2. To reflect on my profession, and how effective various practices are;
  3. To understand the political and cultural context that we teach in; and,
  4. To network with other like-minded educators.

To help me reach my goals, I use this blog as a place for me to reflect on best practices, and the practices I’m (trying to) putting in place in my classroom.

I can be contacted here.

Disclaimer

The views expressed here are those of the writer and do not those of Sacramento City Unified School District.