Tiptoe, through the tulips…

September9

In the New York Times: Margaret Spellings thinks NCLB is just fine, thank you very much!

Rick Scheibner » Soccer education

Definitely worth reading. His powers of observation are awesome.
Larry Ferlazzo’s Websites Of The Day For Teaching ELL, ESL, & EFL » Blog Archive » Carnival of Education

A great idea, doing a carnival of posts on ELL/ESL/EFL topics. I’m going to pick through the archives, and maybe do a new one on what I’m planning in the new year?

dy/dan » Blog Archive » Geometry – Week 1 – 2007

As sometimes happens, Dan misses his own genius. Buried in his slideshow he uses a really witty, but effective way to define geometric terms. He defines a point as “It has location and nothing else. No size. No height. No depth. No friends.” This use of personification shows how using “storytelling” paradigms (metaphor) can make math instruction more effective. Keep it up!

Around the Corner v2 – MGuhlin.net – Bookmark Meme

Miguel catches me with my pants down (or my skirt in my knickers) by sharing the bookmark for the planning wiki used to start out In Practice, the fantastic new group blog I’m working on with a bunch of other great teachers at Title One schools (there, was that a shameless plug, or what?) Including my use of the word cr*p. He felt it added spice. I feared it looked unprofessional. I doubt it will hurt my employment (I’d have to use worse language than that). Well, at least his blog will no longer rate as G. As I tell the kids, I hope it was worth it Miguel.

Around the Corner v2 – MGuhlin.net – Taking Action

Okay, this subject string on the robodial is CURSED for me. First, Wes Fryer credits Maria with it (understandable in an audio only context), now Miguel compliments it, and calls me Liz Mercer.

I foresee two potential scenarios. One has Maria continuing to be credited, and eventually getting an award from the Gates Foundation. Since she’s a Mac user that would be ironic, but since she’s a damn good teacher, It’ll at least be well-deserved.

In the next scenario, the name corruption started by Miguel will continue with the credit going to Liz Purser, Larry Furser, etc. until CNN finally carries it as “Larry Flynt using school robodial system” At that point, my credential WILL get reviewed, and I’ll be reprimanded for using the word cr*p online, and chastised by my district for a non-authorized use of the robodial system.

6 Comments to

“Tiptoe, through the tulips…”

1. September 9th, 2007 at 7:36 am      Reply Rick Says:

Thanks fof the mention. And I agree about Dan’s post. I think his blog should be required reading at teacher prep schools.

2. September 9th, 2007 at 2:48 pm      Reply Doug Noon Says:

Maybe if Miguel checks the comments here, he’ll note that the name of my blog does not have an ‘s’ on the end. But then, he’s from TX, and they have their own way of saying things down there 😉 (Funny, the comment was rejected because I spelled out the state name. It’s banned on edublogs!)

I wondered if you were ‘Liz’ to some people. I supposed not.

3. September 9th, 2007 at 3:03 pm      Reply alicemercer Says:

Doug, I figure it’s just a typo. Tejas being banned, hmm, not gonna comment on that at all, as it will get me in trouble.

4. September 9th, 2007 at 7:06 pm      Reply Lisa Parisi Says:

Liz, hunh. I might try that out the next time we talk. You weren’t really looking for credit were you? 😉

5. September 9th, 2007 at 7:15 pm      Reply alicemercer Says:

Lisa, I’m hamming up the diva stuff complaining about my “credit”. It’s not the credit so much as the ridiculousness of the whole thing. I’ve never had my name blown so many different ways by different people. I do like to imagine that telephone scenario where CNN picks it up as being from Larry Flynt. It’s sorta the most ridiculous conclusion I could think of.

6. September 10th, 2007 at 7:12 pm      Reply alicemercer Says:

Well, here’s the scoop on TX: http://edublogs.org/forums/topic.php?id=1038&replies=2
    The ban is prevent splog comments referencing a card game played with five cards using that state name in it’s title. Could be educational. There was a professional 5 card game (which is also banned in comments) player/Kinder teacher in Oakland that taught the game to his kinder students. I think they played for cheerios though.