An object lesson: why governance issues around charters can be critical

December28

Last month I got a flurry of messages with links from Larry Ferlazzo about our mayor, Kevin Johnson, and his fiance, Michelle Rhee. That’s Larry’s subtle way of saying, “Hey Alice, why don’t you write a post on this?” I didn’t bite because now the story is getting big enough that other education bloggers are picking it up. Also, this story has been ping-ponging back and forth quite a bit over time. First there are usually charges, accusations, an investigation, or insider leak about something dealing with the original federal investigation that started out about misuse of AmeriCorp members for work that was not on their official list of duties, but has since expanded into cover-ups associated with the investigation, and the original IG over-stepping his bounds (and getting fired, then rehired). Then at some point after that, someone clears Johnson, and/or St. Hope (his non-profit) of wrong-doing. I was catching the charges, and accusations, but missing the subsequent clearance of said charges/accusations. I felt like I wasn’t being “balanced”, and the situation is so messy, it really defies any balance. Besides, I was flogging the story when folks were not as aware of what was going on back here in Sacto with Rhee. No more, thanks to the GOP, NYTimes.com is covering the story. So I was going to let it rest, but then I saw this story, Controversy Envelops Study on Charter Management Organizations, at the Inside School Research blog at Ed Week, and I knew I had a hook for my story.

First in this recent report about Johnson and Rhee  is an investigation from GOP lawmakers at the federal level, who are more interested in hurting the Obama Administration, as Education Notes implies in the title of their piece, Education Notes Online: Will Kevin Johnson/Rhee Scandal Be Obama’s Whitewater?. I for one think it is not going to stick, and it shouldn’t. I think the current administration is taking a more respectful approach to prosecution, I don’t think that KJ (how Kevin Johnson is referred to by locals, etc.) is that high on the “friends” list to merit that type of treatment. They dropped the case against Ted Stephens because of concerns about due process, so they’ve been pretty across the board about this approach. What does strike me is how this whole thing maybe more like Whitewater for KJ. It just won’t go away. He gets cleared, and another allegation/leak/report comes out with some new evidence of some other form of cover-up. It’s not hurting the mayor so far, he’s setting up to ask for strong mayor powers and I based on the mood today, he’ll get it.

Here is what gives food for thought though, dragged into the investigation about use of AmeriCorps members were allegations of KJ behaving inappropriately with three female students at St. Hope’s Sacramento High School, and a cover up of those allegations. This is the part that “re-awoke” this story and dragged Rhee into it recently. She apparently was involved in “damage control” when folks at St. Hope started talking about it to the federal IG.

I had the unfortunate experience of being at a school where allegations were leveled against an administrator by a student. For a bunch of reasons, the staff thought the charges were bogus, BUT in spite of the fact that the district was so dysfunctional that it got taken over by the state, the proper protocols were followed. The administrator was put on administrative leave, child welfare services were given a report. Even flaky public schools take mandatory reporting seriously. St. Hope thought it was fine to send out Kevin Johnson’s personal lawyer (who was also the lawyer for the non-profit) to talk to the alleged victim. Since it was with a student over 14 years old, the police were called, but they deferred to the school’s investigation. The results? Charges dropped and one of the victims might have been paid $1,000 a month. Does that sound like “good” management and governance to you? I offer this as an example of the problems that can occur with charter organizations that are not yet ready for prime time.

My prior posts on the subject of Kevin Johnson and/or Michelle Rhee

by posted under politics/policy | No Comments »