Week 5-7 Focus on Formative Assessment

October25

I apologize to my readers, but I’ve been really caught up in working in my new environment. Things are definitely NOT perfect, but I feel that they are headed in the right direction and are under control.

I got a book for sending in a question to Larry Ferlazzo’s Ed Week blog, and I chose a title on Formative Assessment, because I’m really trying to do more formative assessment, and fewer worksheets. Here are some things I’m doing:

1. Avoiding assigning any work that I won’t look at or give feedback of some sort on;
  2. Giving assignments that are aligned with my teaching objectives, not because the text publisher make a worksheet on it;
  3. Starting a tracking system to keep track of what and how they’ve done;
  4. Have a conversation with students informally and formally giving feedback on their work and progress;
  5. Talking to my peers about how lessons have gone–which is probably why I haven’t been posting. Sorry, I need to bond with my new fellow teachers.

Some other things…

1. Working in art, drawing, etc. to weekly social science and science lessons;
  2. Doing writing in all subjects;
  3. Bringing in kids from the self-contained class when we’re doing art and hands on;

Going forward…

1. Having a specific time for writing instruction;
  2. Planning time and activities better so that kids have enough work, but not too much to do;
  3. Doing re-enactments and role playing,
by posted under practice/pedagogy | No Comments »