Threat escalation and whitewashing as silencers

March6

Being a little older (and wiser) I sometimes think back to those days after 9-11, and before we invaded Iraq, and the stories that were told about the threat that was posed by Saddam, the axis of evil, etc., etc. With hindsight it’s easy to say, “What the heck!?!”

I’ve been having my own WTH moments lately on social media, so I thought I’d glue it all together in a single post. Hope it turns out better than this:

No More Sake

Please beware that the language at some of these links is not family or work friendly…

Threat inflation and misogyny

It seems like when a white women raises her voice, and some hard questions, this gets equated in the minds of some men as being the moral equivalent of a roundhouse punch. Don’t believe me, let’s look at what a leader in the financial sector had to say about Senator Elizabeth Warren, and somehow does a non-segue from accusing her of being too angry to an accusation (unsupported by any facts) of “violence”:

Whitewashing blacks outta history

And that brings up the other issue that has preyed upon my mind of late, the whitewashing of history. Somehow this gem from Tumblr, MedivalPOC comment, came my way. It’s a discussion about the proper place of African Americans in historical fiction, specifically, why were there no black characters in the “Agent Carter” series which brought up the typical, there were no black professionals in New York City in the 1940s and they would only have been “the help”. I highly recommend reading the comments in the link above, as the writer is really good, and grounded in history, but here was my 2 cents:

At the traveling exhibition of Norman Rockwell art, they had a good background piece on some of the editorial policies in the period (1950s) that no doubt were in place in the 1930s and 1940s. Basically, blacks could not be portrayed except as “help”. I think part of why folks think that blacks were only “the help” is because the only images white mainstream America had of blacks at that point were “the help”. The only black workers they saw were “the help”. The professionals were not frequented by whites, and had largely or only black clientele. The labor and economic reality was whitewashed by the popular media, and those false images persist today.

We often forget that informal practices like those listed above and de jure residential segregation, were a way of life not just in the post-reconstruction South, but throughout America.  When I posted this link on Facebook about red-lining in 1940-50s Portland, OR, a relative chimed in about the San Gabriel area in the 1950s

When Grandma and Grandpa lived in LaCanada they had a maid named Marie. I remember when she was helping with a big Thanksgiving meal, probably about 1955, and Grandpa had to take her home right in the middle of everything. She had to be off the streets in Glendale before the sun went down, which was about 5:00 in November. I went along, and I remember we dropped her off at a bus stop. I don’t know where she actually lived; maybe my cousins remember more. Shocking to think about it now, to say the least.

I think I can guarantee she wasn’t living in Glendale, or a whole lot of other communities in the area and there were likely laws on the books, in addition to restrictive covenants on private property deeds.

How these two things come together

Image Credit: No More Sake by Matt Reinbold, on Flickr

by posted under politics/policy | No Comments »