Four Slides: The aftermath

August21

Well, as I predicted, the competition smoked my entry in Dy/Dan’s Four Slide Competition,. After I woke up from a night of valium and martinis to drown my sorrows, I could console myself that at least I wasn’t a winner. The ending was almost as messy as an election in Florida, with the winner pulling out for using a template, and the tied second place winners moving up, but one of them arguing about it. Very confusing. In the spirit of Glenn Moses, here is my formula for losing the competition:

1. Create something that looks like a PowerPoint presentation;
  2. Argue with one of the judges about aesthetics when they are kind enough to give you feedback.
  3. After arguing with said judge, try to suck up by saying nice things about his kid (looks really sincere, no?)

This was not all for naught. I was told I only have 5 minutes to present myself to the new staff I am working with and describe what I will be doing in the computer lab. Those four slides are the Intro for the show (and only take about 30 seconds, thank you very much).

Losing Dy/Dan’s contest: Painful;

Gaining experience in making short but effective presentations: Priceless…

On thing I’m noticing is that the content really does change when you are orally presenting these. I’ve removed some of the writing to avoid speaking what is written on the slide. Also, the slides to move the show, my patter is, and keeping that tight is a challenge, but I’m up to it. I deliver it on Wednesday, so wish me luck!

[slideshare id=95560&doc=pp-for-staff-development4563&w=425]

by posted under fun, practice/pedagogy | No Comments »