Going legal on their butts…

August24

In Dangerously Irrelevant: Urban school decay posts images of Detroit’s text book depository as a metaphor for the decay of many of our urban schools.

In California, it’s the anniversary of implementation of the Williams settlement. This brought settlement to a suit from the ACLU and others regarding conditions in schools serving the poorest students in our state. There were three areas covered in the suit/settlement:

• Physical plant: What are the conditions of the school sites themselves? Many of these schools are in urban centers and so they date back to before World War II.
  • Texts and materials: Students should have access to text or other appropriate materials in the core instructional areas (basically, if they are tested on it, they better get materials). This means that they have to have 100 minutes of P.E. a week in Elementary because there is a P.E. test in 5th grade.
  • Teacher qualifications: No surprise, the poorest schools have the least senior teachers and more teachers with “alternative” credentialing or teaching out of subject area.

The article above sites the many advances made under the settlement most notably in the area of physical plant, and texts and materials. My own experience teaching in Williams schools is this, I’ve gotten lots of repairs done that used to fester the todo list of the District’s plant operations. The schools were I now teach in Sacramento, are newer than the WPA era buildings I started at in Oakland. Also, there was a whole stream of building improvement bonds that went into effect as I began teaching, so from my perspective this has been getting better. I know that Los Angeles has had a number of problems, issues, etc. with regards to school building, improvement, and bonds for those goals, someone from the south of the state will have to comment on that aspect.

I know that textbooks are not in good odor with edubloggers, but let me put it this way, we know that the electronic replacements for texts are not all ready to go, so if the rest of the state’s kids have a text, shouldn’t these kids? BTW, if you had a reading program based on trade books, those would take the place of texts, but schools doing that are few and far between, especially those teaching in these schools. It was not uncommon to be short a handful of texts in a class prior to the settlement. I’ve heard tales from secondary educators of only having half the needed texts for a class. Also, we were regularly told that students could not bring texts home (for fear of them being lost). Williams specifically says that you must allow students to take texts home as needed to do work.

The one where schools still struggle with compliance is teacher qualifications. The school I’m coming into is in a similar situation. There is a very dynamic and charismatic principal that the staff seems very fond of, but they have had a large turnover historically, and even with this particular leader are still losing teachers each year (out 17 positions, two of us are replacing teachers who left, and one new position has been created). This is not as bad as some schools, but even at this rate, it’s not as consistent as schools teaching more affluent students.

So this is one policy option, often thought of as the nuclear one, because the courts are a cudgel, not a fine tool for fixing things. There are blanket policies, and enforcement is rather black-and-white. I think it works well for issues physical plant, and texts, but it just can’t fix a complex problem like teacher seniority and quality. That will require something more subtle, more complex, and more time.

by posted under politics/policy | 5 Comments »    
5 Comments to

“Going legal on their butts…”

1. August 24th, 2007 at 7:33 am      Reply Larry Ferlazzo Says:

We were actually told by the District that Williams money could only be used to purchase state-approved textbooks, not trade books. Buying books of choice for our students to read would have been wonderful, since those are the primary tools in many of our English classes.

Ironically, I suspect that I might have been the only teacher in the state “written-up” for having too many books when we were visited to check for Williams compliance. We had just received a big shipment of trade books the morning of the visit, and they were stacked on the floor in the front of my room. I was written-up for having a “messy classroom.”

2. August 24th, 2007 at 8:56 am      Reply alicemercer Says:

Oh, you’re not the only one to get that write up, since the Williams inspections come right at the start of school when they are dropping off materials that you have to inventory.

The fire marshals are trying to make a name for themselves lately. I don’t know about you, but I never saw one around in my years of teaching. With Williams, this is suddenly de rigueur to have annual inspections from the Fire Department as well. I’m hearing it’s district-wide.

On the trade books, I forgot about the adopted text requirement. You know the Waldorf school in our district here uses Open Court (how ironic is that)? As I said, a lawsuit is a cudgel, not a fine tool, and will see “compliance” in black and white terms.

3. August 24th, 2007 at 9:45 am      Reply alicemercer Says:

Oh, the plugs! Yeah, well daisy chaining the surge protectors is not a great idea. I got a new electrical outlet by inserting the words “does not comply with fire code” in my request. Took them about 2 months to get out, but that’s overnight compared to before. You can still have surge protectors, but it has to follow guidelines, which I will not bore readers with here (that would be the ultimate how-to, a screencast on fire safey and electricity in the classroom, bet I’d get a lot of hits for that one–I should ask Dave Cormier about his making your own ethernet wire video).

Have they started removing microwaves and refrigerators in teachers’ rooms yet at your site?

4. August 24th, 2007 at 10:52 am      Reply Larry Ferlazzo Says:

The fire marshal told us we could keep them as long as they were directly plugged into the wall outlet. I hope that won’t change.

5. August 24th, 2007 at 9:32 am      Reply Larry Ferlazzo Says:

Ah, yes, the fire marshal. Last year he confiscated all the extension cords that teacher’s were using and wouldn’t give them back…..

I didn’t know that about Waldorf. Ironic and bizarre…