Week in Class: Week Two 2013

September14

Pencil #2
On the whole, things are shaping up either as I would expect, or better. That’s not a bad place to be after two weeks.

Let’s talk about what they’ve done:

Good:

Writing: I’m doing a single weekly assessment where I give the students a choice of at least two questions from each subject to write about in a short-response form. This is a way to transition students from multiple-choice assessments to new Common Core assessments which will have these types of questions, but I do it because it’s more authentic, and more useful. How did it go? Some of them did what I asked, some answered the questions well, some did  not. On the whole I’m happy. I have some educating to do about my expectations, and what I’m looking for, which is not unexpected at this time of year, but I feel like there is a good base to build on. Here are this week’s questions for those who are interested: Week2Assessment

Better:

Math: I’m still using our district text, but I’ve re-written the lessons for the first chapter using UbD planner, and Core standards. What I’m finding that is much more critical than the “standards” I’m teaching to is the instruction, and the most critical part is how I introduce the idea, and the questions I ask students as I do it. This is a type of teaching that is emphasized in programs like Math Project, etc. and It’s a good engagement tool and signals to the kids they should be thinking:

4 ◊ = 24

5x = 20

5x = y

What do you think I want to know? Why?

How did you figure that out?What do you think I want to know? Why?

Why do you think I’m using an “x” instead of a ◊?Why wouldn’t ◊ work here?

In addition, on Friday’s I’m having them do problems in small groups, where they provide a visual, mathematical representation, and written explanation. This week we did geometric formulas for rectangles and squares. I should have pictures up soon.

Organization: I’ve reorganized my desks and things so well, I misplaced my teacher’s key for the math text because I forgot I had moved it to be more “convenient” (which was pretty funny when you think about it). I’m also concentrating on preparing kids for middle school. We’ve been having them use pocket tabs in their binders as part of this effort for the last three years. I’m so happy to find that most of the students had there work for the first week filed in the right place, and no one was missing work who shouldn’t have been.

Best:

Inclusion and Garden: This year I’m taking in students from our school’s SDC (Special Day Class) in the afternoons as part of Inclusion time on their IEPs. I have an ABSOLUTE treasure in the para-professional aide that comes with them. Our site has a really good garden program. We have garden boxes for the kids to plant, and a native plant habitat at one corner of the school. I, have a black-thumb (although I do know some plants). The aide in contrast has an extensive knowledge of botany and horticulture. He took the kids on a tour of the habitat, and talked to them about the importance of these places for animals and did a terrific job. The kids were excited. I am excited.

Podcasting: Last week, I did our weekly podcast, but I’m was SO proud to hand off the writing and delivery of the podcast this week. I’m sending a link in my weekly parent email, and I’ve been doing the editing on a projected screen, so I should be able to hand that off in the next month. Here is this week’s podcast.

Photo Credit: Pencil #2 by Bob AuBuchon, on Flickr

by posted under practice/pedagogy | No Comments »