Education and Politics in the U.S.

March16

Lots of political talk around. Must be (a) testing season, (b) early presidential season, and (c) new party in charge of Congress.

First, Doug Noon on Borderland, has a pointed, but quietly forceful post on both immigration and NCLB issues. I know I keep saying this, but his writing has a very sublime quality that I enjoy.

Next, Will Richardson, Scott McLeod, who I read, and some other Edubloggers who I don’t (but probably should) read, had a conference call meeting with Senator Lamar Alexander. The meeting was basically a dog and pony show for the Senator with little substance.

Many are disappointed, but glad that Mr. Richardson and Mr. McLeod got a foot in the door. First, I’m glad they did this too, but I don’t think this should be the end of the discussion. I’m all about making lemonade outta lemons, and this situation begs for it. People on edblogs  complain about not having resources, blocking legislation(and local policy) getting between their kids and a learning experience, and teacher training not being useful/meaningful. I’m one of those types who believe you can’t complain if you’re not willing to do something about the situation.

Here are the points I came up with:

• We need to look at what we are teaching, and how students learn to make our instruction and their learning effective. We need to prepare students for the future, not the past. We need to prepare teachers for this too.
  • Bridge the digital divide NOW!
  • The Web provides us with some incredible tools for teaching students meaningfully, and having them make meaningful content. We should be teaching students to think and create, not read and regurgitate.

We need a change in education policy (frameworks/standards), teacher training (to reflect framework). I would also include something about access to computers and high speed Internet in the home (maybe $200 laptops, and a lifeline service like with land lines).

Scott McLeod pointed out the NETP which has the following action points:

1. Strengthen Leadershipa point I didn’t have, and an excellent one at that.
  2. Consider Innovative Budgeting
  3. Improve Teacher Training
  4. Support E-Learning and Virtual Schools
  5. Encourage Broadband Access
  6. Move Toward Digital Content
  7. Integrate Data Systems

Next steps, getting the word out…

• Post about this, link to each other’s posts, kick up the traffic on Techorati, etc.
  • Post and link on news, politics, and policy blogs (generating more buzz, traffic)
  • Keep on message, and push the message, wherever you can
  • This will be a load chorus backing up whatever else gets said from these people about this topic.

Who is willing to join?

by posted under politics/policy | No Comments »