Weekly Reflection

April13

I spent a lot of time online the week before (Spring Break). Unfortunately, I have been doing more work for myself (stuff on professional development, job hunting, etc.) and did not get much planning and other work done. Not sure if it will be worth it, and I probably should have gotten out more often. The result is my new blogfolio. Part of this was probably because the week before break, my mother had fractured her leg in a biking accident, and spent a chunk of the week at my house.

I was tired, cranky, and ill-prepared coming back to work. In addition, it was not a “textbook” week, but instead I was having them do work on closing our current language arts unit, and doing review in math in preparation for the upcoming state testing. I felt both rolled/pulled thin, and crispy. Like deep fried wasa bread. Not good.

The light at the end of the week, was not an oncoming train. I had read the kids an opening story for our new unit on the preparations of the Corp of Discovery, and showed them the GoogleEarth kmz on the trip. They loved it, but were still hyper, so I had them write down at list of things they would need for a cross country trip. THEY LOVED IT! So I asked, is this what you want to do for your next unit project. YES! was the unanimous response. Now, I should have spent my Spring Break figuring out, hey what am I going to have them do after testing? I didn’t, and I discovered I won’t finish the final language arts unit as quick as I would like. Now I have a quicker start on the unit, and my project is underway. I’ve started a Google Earth map and I’ll add info/layers as it goes on.